Friday, August 17, 2012

Finishing portraits, but not yet my final post

Tuesday, I took what was to be the last of my portraits - Kasey before she leaves for a wedding at Notre Dame. It was a goodbye for her, since she wont be back until after we've all left. A few of us stayed up until she left for the shuttle at 1:30AM.

It's really nice having a commons that everyone likes hanging out in. The facilities are really nice here and it's nice having such a good group. Women's volleyball was on that night, USA vs USA, for the gold. Umi drank too much coffee and there was a lot of fun with party hats. I also watched Kasey work on a cross-stitch for a while, which I think I might try. I like how calculated it is but how you could adapt any pattern to it. 


Wednesday was my second developing day! It was pretty terrifying since I had 12 photos I cared about, rather than 8. The whole thing went pretty smoothly though, except for a double exposure of myself with Kasey. And I was doing so well.

Kailey, Umi and I went to the beach to catch the sunset, and each had our share of camera problems. Umi may have underexposed some of his slide film, and I may have double exposed another image.



Thursday, Dr. Dinnel invited everyone over for dinner at his house. He's got a beautiful garden and fed us really well. There were interns, advisers and some of his friends from the oyster restoration project. We spent some time going around the circle, each introducing our summer projects.

I spent some time talking to a chemist about equipment of arts and science, as well as photos from imaging equipment in space and how they get their high quality and color accuracy. I guess they take a red, blue and green image and combine them afterward which gives a more precise color.

Afterward, Umi and I went back to the lab with full bellies to work the night away. I wanted to get al of my negatives scanned so I could get working on corrections. We ended up staying until 1:30, with lots of singing, scanning and graphing, and had to walk home with all the road lights out. It was a little unnerving but we survived.


Friday, I was working quickly to finish all of my cyanotypes by the weekend, when I would voyage to Bellingham for the long job of dust removal, color correcting and eventually printing. I think I ended up making five and only had one person that I couldn't get a hold of that day.

I tried correcting some images on my laptop but it was struggling. It's been really nice getting to borrow a computer from Western for the lab, especially with such a big monitor for editing. Everyone is working hard of their final data crunching, as presentations are coming up!



More up to date posts to come quickly, as I have just finished my last day at Shannon Point. It's bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment